Asphalt Shingle Benefits
Asphalt shingles are some of the most popular roofing materials used for homes, apartment complexes, and other residences. That’s because of its many benefits. For one, shingles are some of the most affordable roofing materials on the market today. Moreover, shingles are effective. They hold up well against the elements and keep you and your family safe and dry. Other benefits include:
- Offer a traditional look
- Available in a variety styles and colors
- Easy to install
- Damaged single shingles can be replaced individually
From repair to replacement, when you need asphalt shingles in Texarkana, TX, turn to the trusted professionals at Lafferty Roofing & Construction. Call today at 903-824-9871 and we’ll answer all your questions and schedule an inspection.
What are the three types of asphalt shingles?
Typically, asphalt or composite shingles come in three types:
- 3-tab or strip shingles: These are the most basic types of shingles made from a single layer of asphalt and are normally flat
- Dimensional or architectural shingles: Also known as laminate shingles, these are the most prevalent used in residential construction today. They usually consist of two or more layers of asphalt and offer more protection than 3-tab shingles. They often have greater warranty protection.
- Luxury shingles: These are the highest-quality shingles available and tend to be shaped like wood shake or slate shingles.
Each of these types of shingles can be designed to be impact-resistant. This type of design improves the shingle’s ability to withstand the impact of hail and high winds.
How long do asphalt shingles last?
While asphalt shingle roofing is easy to install and cost-effective, standard 3-tab shingles don’t typically hold up as long as other types of roofing like metal. Depending on how well-maintained they are, they will last between 15-30 years.
Architectural-style shingles usually have a longer lifespan–about 25-30 years. They are much more durable than 3-tab shingles because of the density of the asphalt.
What are 2 disadvantages of asphalt shingles?
Although asphalt shingles are common to residential roofing and have multiple benefits, they also have disadvantages. Two main disadvantages of asphalt shingles are:
- Short lifespan: Even with care and upkeep, shingles don’t last as long as other residential roofing materials like metal. Metal roofs, for instance, can last 50 years or more, while tile roofs can last almost twice as long as that.
- Easily damaged by high winds and hail: While all roofs are vulnerable to damage from storms, shingles frequently get damaged by hail and high winds. Hailstones can puncture shingles while high winds can completely strip roofs off homes. However, if you choose specially designed impact-resistant shingles, your roof will be much more protected from hail and high winds.
How often should shingles be replaced?
Given that most asphalt shingle roofs last anywhere between 15 to 30 years at best, you’ll probably find yourself replacing your roof as it ages. Unfortunately, people often neglect upkeep on their roofs until a problem like a leak occurs, and this neglect can shorten your roof’s life by several years. Regular maintenance, beginning with inspections, will help extend your roof’s lifespan. Problems to look for that could lead to a roof replacement:
- Cracked, loose or missing shingles
- Roof sags
- Mold or rot
- Water damage or leaks
- Dark spots or holes
Which month is best to replace your roof?
While no particular month stands out as best for replacing your roof, the fall is usually the best time to have it done. In part, this is due to the weather. The cooler weather from September to November makes it easier for roof installers to work and milder weather and generally less rain allow them to work with fewer interruptions. This means, your roof is completed in less time. Of course, because this time of year is so popular with people needing their roofs replaced, it also becomes a busy time for roofers–so the earlier you get on the schedule, the sooner work can begin. No matter when you need to get your roof replaced, it’s best to plan ahead one to two months.
Do I need to remove old shingles before installing new shingles?
Although it might seem convenient and might be less expensive, it’s generally best not to install new shingles over the old ones. Doing this can create all kinds of problems for your roof and home.
Generally, new shingles need to go on a flat surface. Layering them over old shingles make them fit less securely on your roof. This in turn causes them to be more vulnerable to weather damage and leaks. It also makes roof inspections more difficult and less accurate.
A new layer of shingles also increases weight strain, which can cause problems, including roof collapse, especially in areas that receive a lot of snow.
More often than not, layering shingles will cause your warranties to be voided. Moreover, in most areas putting new roofs over old ones violates building codes and it’s unlikely your roofing contractor will be able to get a permit to replace the roof.
Will the roof leak with one shingle missing?
If you’ve noticed a shingle missing from your roof, you might be worried this will cause a roof leak. It’s a legitimate concern. A single missing shingle might or might not lead to a leak, at least not immediately. But, over time, as with most roof damage, even a single missing shingle can cause trouble, especially if your roof is older.
Generally, any roof damage left unchecked will lead to serious issues like leaks in time. And, leaks lead to issues with mold, mildew and rot, and could very well lead to damage to your attic, crawlspace, insulation or ceilings. Taking care of small repairs sooner rather than later saves you money.
Asphalt shingles near me
Your roof is essential to your home and taking care of it keeps you and your family safe and saves you money in the long term. Since many homes rely on asphalt shingles, you want to make sure you have a reliable roofer on your side when you need repairs or need a new roof. You’ll find that at Lafferty Roofing & Construction. For professional asphalt shingle repair or replacement in Texarkana, TX, call 903-824-9871 to set up an appointment.